Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Homemade Dill Pickles

Well almost 2 months have gone by since I was last here. We helped our daughter move into a new house, had a few dental appointments, and came down with the flu that kept me in bed for about a week. It really kicked my butt this time. I usually get sick once every few years so I guess I was due. Also I have been busy taking turns tending the garden of veggies with my husband. Not doing as well as I hoped this year. It's the desert, we usually have a hard time growing things. A friend has not though and gave us some cucumbers, beans, peppers, carrots and onions. His garden is amazing for the desert! I need to ask his secret. So anyway when you have an abundant supply of cucumbers you make pickles! That is what my husband and I did this afternoon. Our house is a no vinegar zone so we made naturally fermented pickles. They won't be ready to eat  for about 6 weeks. Very easy recipe to follow though.
Here's the recipe I followed

Here are 2 cucumbers that I have left, the biggest two I had were 19" long! 

And here they are in their brine ready to set in a cool dark place for awhile. This was really fun. Never made pickles before. I figured If I can can other vegetables and make jam I can do pickles.


No comments:

Post a Comment